DURHAM, NC — (October 22, 2020) — In hopes of taking advantage of the remaining comfortable evenings of fall, the Carolina Theatre of Durham will move its Retro Film Series outside. The Carolina Theatre will screen classic films in the parking lot of the Durham Arts Council off Morris Street in downtown Durham during the next two weekends.
Retro Film Series presents the 1984 blockbuster “Ghostbusters” Thursday-Saturday, Oct. 29-31 and the 1984 hit “Gremlins” on Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 5-7. All films will screen at 7 p.m. (UPDATE: Due to inclement weather and high winds, the Thursday, October 29 screening of Ghostbusters will take place inside Fletcher Hall at 7 p.m.)
Tickets to these screenings cost $15, include a free medium-size popcorn and are available now on the venue’s website, carolinatheatre.org, or at Ticketmaster.com.
Whether fans purchase tickets online or at the Carolina Theatre Box Office, venue staff will direct them to the designated film viewing area. Check-in will be at a table near Morris Street. In the event of inclement weather, the screenings will move inside the venue.
Additional information on the outdoor screenings:
• Guests need to bring their own chairs and/or blankets.
• Screenings are rain or shine. No umbrellas allowed.
• Anyone entering the outdoor screenings will answer health screening questions and have their temperatures taken.
• Each viewing space will be set up eight feet away from others.
• Attendees will be required to wear a mask anytime they are outside of their designated space.
Guests attending the screenings may partake in Downtown Durham Inc.’s Streetery outdoor dining initiative.
The Carolina Theatre will announce additional outdoor screenings pending the onset of the chilly nights of winter. Until then, it hopes Triangle area movie and music fans find their way to downtown Durham for an evening of food and fun.